Family-run Letchworth contractors DB Sharp mark 40th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A family-run Letchworth firm of building contractors celebrated with birthday cake this week as the company marked 40 years.
DB Sharp and Sons, based on the Woodside Industrial Park off Works Road, was founded by Derek Brian Sharp and his son Martin on February 23, 1978 – with two more sons, David and Richard, later coming on board.
The family legacy continues into the third generation, with cousins Jack and Ross Sharp now playing active roles.
The DB Sharp team spent Friday, the 40th birthday, getting out to share cake with as many on-site personnel as possible – and June Sharp, the founder’s wife and mother of Martin, David and Richard, formally opened the firm’s new base at Sharp House.
She told the boys their father would be proud to see how far the firm had come since starting in the garage in their back garden.
You may also want to watch:
David Sharp said: “We are really proud to be celebrating our 40th anniversary. We have always strived to provide our customers with great service and a high standard of quality work.
“It’s a lot of hard work and a huge team effort to make our company a success, and we think Dad would be proud to see where we are now, in our 40th year.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
The company, which provides building, plumbing, heating and electrical services, has worked on projects ranging from new-build houses to listed building refurbishments and extensions.
It was the main contractor for the transformation of Hitchin’s Hermitage Ballrooms into the Hermitage Rd restaurant and bar, and last year put in swanky new toilet facilities at Letchworth’s Jackmans Community Centre.
Last year DB Sharp’s work on the grade II*-listed Jessamine House in Ashwell earned it the refurbishment of the year prize in the Hertfordshire Building and Construction Awards. The firm, which sponsors Archant’s Hertfordshire Business Awards, also won the general builder of the year award.
The company posted a birthday statement on its website and social media streams on Friday, writing: “We would like to thank all our customers, suppliers and fantastic staff for making the last 40 years possible. Here’s to the next 40 years.”
Social media users congratulating the team included Trish Jesson, who posted: “Derek would be proud of you all.”
To find out more about the firm, call 01462 672359 or see dbsharpandsons.co.uk.