Family pay tribute to Baldock man killed in lamppost crash
THE FAMILY of a 24-year-old man have paid tribute to their “one in a million” who was killed in a car crash last week.
Liam Haley, of Baldock, was driving a red Honda Civic Type R when it crashed into a lamppost in Icknield Way, Letchworth GC, at around 10.15pm last Tuesday.
Mr Haley, who attended Weston Way Nursery and St Mary’s Primary School in Baldock, was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage with head injuries, where he died just after 3am.
Mum Jackie said: “He was one in a million, a real Del Boy with a cheeky grin and a hug for everyone.
“His pride and joy was his Audi TT, which he called his ‘horses’, and loved taking people out in it. He was very loving and would beep at people he knew when he was out and about in his car, to say hi to them.
You may also want to watch:
“He was also very good at sport when he was at school, winning some awards in water sports.
“His interests were cars, music and women. He liked to live in the fast lane and never stayed anywhere very long.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 10 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
“He was unique and we miss his sense of humour and practical jokes around the house. He was the kind of person where, if you didn’t know him, you’ve missed out.”
She added: “I would like to say a massive thank you to everybody who has supported us at this difficult time. Your kindness has meant so much to us.”
Mr Haley, who worked as a labourer after leaving Hertford’s Hailey Hall School at 16, also leaves behind two sisters – Loren, 25, and Jade, 21, who will miss him dearly.
His funeral is due to take place tomorrow (Thursday) at 5pm at Harwood Park Crematorium in Stevenage. Anyone who knew Mr Haley is welcome to attend.
Friends of the 24-year-old are also planning an event in memory of him on Saturday, June 4, through car enthusiasts group Cruise-Herts, while a tribute Facebook group in his honour has amassed more than 700 members.