Family escape early morning Stevenage fire
A FAMILY escaped a fire in their Stevenage home in the early hours of this morning (Thursday).
Two fire crews attended the blaze at a terraced house in Chepstow Close at 12.24am.
The fire started in the kitchen, where the damage was confined. Two children and their mother escaped after being alerted by the smoke detector.
Adam Laycock, who was on duty, said: “This incident highlights the good work which is done by the staff in the fire control room. The lady was very concerned that her children were very cold and wanted to return to the house to get coats and shoes but the operator was able to speak calmly, reassuring the occupant that we were only minutes away.
“The passing of information to crews on route enabled the Officer in Charge to formulate a plan to deal with the fire not having to worry about the possibility of further life being at risk.
You may also want to watch:
“The property also had two working smoke detectors fitted which may have contributed to the early alarm and all persons being able to get out of the property without suffering any smoke inhalation.”
The fire was out at 12.40am, and no-one was injured.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed