Families take to Letchworth streets for Starlight Walk 2014 in aid of someone special
- Credit: Archant
The Starlight Walk is set to be a family affair this year with many taking to the streets in memory of someone special.
Garden House Hospice’s headline event leaves from North Herts Leisure Centre in Letchworth at 10pm on Saturday, September 6, giving walkers the opportunity to complete either a six or 10-mile course around the town.
Lisa Biggerstaff from Stevenage is walking in memory of her mum, Laura Ann, who died at the age of 54 after a 10 year battle with cancer.
She said: “The amazing people at the hospice supported mum, and us, though her last few days. They provided more than the very best of medical care for our mum, they looked after us too. Meals, beds and even crash mats around mum’s bed so we could sleep next to her – there was no getting rid of us!
“They allowed us to focus on helping each other, and most importantly our mum, through the most difficult experience imaginable. Thanking those wonderful people just isn’t enough. Money raised through the Starlight Walk will ensure another family can receive the medical and emotional support we received. So please sign up and take part.”
You may also want to watch:
Caroline Luckraft and her husband Tom, from Letchworth, have supported the event since 2009, although last year Caroline took a break as she was awaiting the birth of baby Isla.
She said: “As she is now six months old I needed the motivation to get fit again and lose a few pounds so I signed up for the 10-mile route. It’s been great, for the past few weeks I’ve increased the length of my walks and hardly used the car! Tom is going to marshal alongside his dad and my mother-in-law will baby sit, all in all it will be a fun night for everyone.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
Lisa Barry, also from Letchworth, is walking for the fifth consecutive year in memory of her mum, Denise Jaszewska, who she lost 10 years ago.
She said: “It is very important to me because of the care and support my mum received from the hospice staff, and the fact that the money raised goes to offering the same to other patients and their families.”
Hospice fundraiser Jo Wiffen said: “We can promise you a great time, in fabulous company knowing that you have made a difference to a local charity that cares for the community it serves.”
The £15 registration fee includes a Starlight cap, water, goody bag and refreshments when crossing the finish line.
To book your place visit www.ghhospice.co.uk or pick up a leaflet at one of the hospice shops across the area.