Families invited to enjoy Zimbabwean art at Knebworth House this summer
- Credit: Archant
This summer you can wander across the lawns of the formal gardens at Knebworth House while admiring some incredible African sculptures.
The exhibition which is on display from July 1 to August 31, showcases work by Matombo – a group of travelling sculptors who source artworks directly from solo artists, small workshops and co-operatives from many different parts of Zimbabwe.
You can wander round the exhibition, speak to Zimbabwean artists Dudzai Mushawepwere and Matthew Nakhawale and even have a go at carving some sculptures yourself.
Matombo means stone in the ethnic Zimbabwean language, Shona, a fitting name given that the exhibition is believed to be the largest display of stone sculpture in the South of England, and features the works of more than 40 artists.
The show is curated by art specialist Orlando Compton who has been holding similar shows at his home, Newby Hall in North Yorkshire, for the past 12 years. This is the first time the show has appeared at Knebworth.
You may also want to watch:
Orlando said: “We’re delighted now to be showcasing the collection to a wider audience as well as forging a new relationship with another of the UK’s privately owned stately homes.”
Martha Lytton Cobbold, who lives at Knebworth with her husband Henry Lytton Cobbold, said: “We are delighted to welcome Orlando and his Matombo exhibition to our gardens and know visitors will enjoy discovering the sculptures and meeting talented artists.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
For more information go to www.knebworthhouse.com/event/garden-sculpture-exhibition.