‘Fabio Capello’ to attend World Cup final after competition win
A FOOTBALL fanatic faces years of dressing up as England’s manager after trading in his dignity for World Cup final tickets.
Graham Barley, from Letchworth GC, entered a Facebook competition run by Hyundai before the tournament kicked off in which entrants were asked ‘what would you trade for tickets to the World Cup final?’
The 34-year-old decided on his dignity, sending in a video that stated he would dress up as Fabio Capello - wearing a curly wig and glasses - until England win the World Cup.
Following a public vote, Graham was among the lucky winners chosen and will be the envy of millions as he takes his seat in Johannesburg’s Soccer City Stadium on Sunday evening to watch Spain play The Netherlands.
The England fan will fly out to South Africa tomorrow night with his dad before returning to the UK on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Asked how he came up with the idea, Graham, who lives in Mullway, said: “I was trying really hard to think of something I could trade.
“I am not one for having a lot of material possessions so I didn’t have anything physical I could swap - that’s when I came up with the idea of trading my dignity.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
“I have been to lots of England matches and once flew out to Luxembourg for a qualifier but ended up missing the game - hopefully that won’t happen this time!
“I’m really looking forward to it and there will be an amazing atmosphere.”
To prove Graham is keeping his promise he has been sending Hyundai daily photos dressed in his Fabio costume, and the car manufacture will continue to check up on him every couple of years.
England haven’t triumphed at football’s biggest knockout competition in 44 years so Mr Capello may be making regular appearances in Letchworth GC for many years to come.