FA Cup winner and Spurs legend tips Stevenage for Third Round shock
SPURS legend and football pundit Garth Crooks has been in Stevenage this afternoon (Wednesday) talking up the chances of an FA Cup shock.
The former striker was in the Old Town ahead of Stevenage FC’s Third Round tie with Newcastle United on Saturday and, after meeting manager Graham Westley’s team, has tipped them to win.
An FA Cup winner with Tottenham Hotspur in 1981 and 1982, the 52-year-old was pictured with the trophy during his visit.
Mr Crooks, who works as a pundit on the BBC’s Football Focus programme, said: “I’m going to go for a Stevenage win as they should’ve done it 13 years ago but unfortunately they didn’t.
“I’ve spent the day with the players and the captain Mark Roberts and they are all feeling very positive. They are all looking forward to it.
You may also want to watch:
“In Graham Westley they have a manager who has been there before with Farnborough and it’s good to have a manager who won’t be phased by the occasion.
“I think now Andy Carroll (Newcastle striker) is out already circumstances are going in their favour for a Third Round shock.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out