Ex-soldier from benington dies
THE funeral of an ex-soldier from Benington, who died on Remembrance Sunday, will be held on Tuesday, November 24. General Sir Patrick Howard-Dobson died on November 8 following a short illness, aged 88. Sir Patrick lived on Walkern Road in Benington for
THE funeral of an ex-soldier from Benington, who died on Remembrance Sunday, will be held on Tuesday, November 24.
General Sir Patrick Howard-Dobson died on November 8 following a short illness, aged 88.
Sir Patrick lived on Walkern Road in Benington for more than 25 years and during that time served as Quartermaster General, Military Secretary and Vice Chief of the Defence Staff.
On retirement from the army he became national president of the Royal British Legion, serving for many years, and also sat on the committee of the local branch. He was a serving member of the Royal British Legion until he was 84.
You may also want to watch:
Having himself served in Burma during World War II, Sir Patrick was branch president of the local Burma Star Association, and also served as president of the local branch of the Dunkirk Veterans' Association.
His son, Simon, of Lonsdale Road in Stevenage, said: "He leaves behind a large family proud of his many achievements."
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
Instead of flowers, the family is asking for donations for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal to be sent c/o Tony Brown's Funeral Service, Saxmundham, Suffolk, IP17 1EH. Any enquiries, call 01728 603108.