Ex-alcoholics and drug users on their Turning Point
FORMER alcoholics and drug users spoke yesterday (Thursday) of their recovery from substance misuse.
People who attend health and social care organisation Turning Point’s Hertsreach Letchworth GC service gave presentations about a skill or hobby which has helped them to maintain their recovery.
Funds were also raised for the peer mentor group, based in Station Road, through a raffle and a silent auction of service user’s products.
Among those in attendance on the night were comedian Paul Harry Allen, who hosted the auction and performed, and Grange ward councillor for North Hertfordshire District Council Cllr Paul Marment.
Organiser Sam Speller said: “The night was a success and provided an opportunity for service users and people from the local community to enjoy a relaxed evening of entertainment. The night showcased positive outcomes and attributes for people to achieve recovery, from gardening, art, exercise and cooking.”
You may also want to watch:
Turning Point service manager Neesha Chand added: “Turning Point would like to congratulate the peer mentor group for organising a successful evening that will hopefully inspire people to achieve recovery from drugs and alcohol and to join the peer mentor group in their local area.
“Thank you to comedian Paul Harry Allen for his time and we would also like to thank all those in the local area who donated prizes for the raffle including Serenity Day Spa, The Body Shop, Ardeley Church Farm and MP Oliver Heald.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out