Evacuation after fire at Stevenage leisure centre
A FIRE has broken out at a leisure centre this morning (Tuesday) resulting in the building being evacuated.
Emergency services were called to Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre on Lytton Way at about 8.50am after reports that a blaze had started on the ground floor.
Four fire crews are using breathing apparatus and water jets to tackle the fire, which has caused the entrance to the gym to be blacked out and the floor heavily smoke logged.
Police have cordoned off the bridge which connects the leisure centre to Stevenage Railway Station, with access also prohibited from the town centre.
Speaking at the scene, Jonathon Stone, marketing director for Stevenage Leisure Ltd, said that he believed the fire started in a staff room.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “It’s a shame as we’ve just invested a lot of money into the Lifestyles centre. Let’s hope the damage is superficial.”
Stevenage Borough Council has opened up a room at the council offices in Danestrete for those who have been evacuated.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Speculating on the cause of the blaze, Aidan Sanderson, head of leisure, community and children’s services at the council, said: “I think it might be a faulty light that has caused the fire.”