Epic challenge in memory of close friend
AN OPTICIAN is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in memory of his oldest friend who died suddenly in March, aged 51. David Abrahams, owner of GPC Opticians in The Forum in Stevenage, is taking on the challenge with his 22-year-old daughter, Joelle, in August in
AN OPTICIAN is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in memory of his oldest friend who died suddenly in March, aged 51.
David Abrahams, owner of GPC Opticians in The Forum in Stevenage, is taking on the challenge with his 22-year-old daughter, Joelle, in August in memory of Steven Jacobs.
Steven died of an undiagnosed heart condition, and the pair are raising money for Harefield Hospital - pioneers in the research and treatment of heart disease.
David, 50, met Steven at school when he was 10 years old. He said: "Steven was the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet. He was a family man, devoted to his wife and children, and no one had a bad word to say about him."
To prepare for the monumental challenge, David is running or going to the gym every day.
He and Joelle will spend six days climbing Kilimanjaro, and two days walking back down.
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
Temperatures will reach minus 20, but "the altitude will be the biggest challenge", David said.
He added: "We are excited to be taking on this great challenge to honour the life of a great husband, father and friend."
All money raised will be donated to Harefield Hospital - none will be used to fund the expedition.
To sponsor David, visit www.justgiving.com/davidabrahams1