Epic challenge in memory of close friend
AN OPTICIAN is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in memory of his oldest friend who died suddenly in March, aged 51. David Abrahams, owner of GPC Opticians in The Forum in Stevenage, is taking on the challenge with his 22-year-old daughter, Joelle, in August in
AN OPTICIAN is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in memory of his oldest friend who died suddenly in March, aged 51.
David Abrahams, owner of GPC Opticians in The Forum in Stevenage, is taking on the challenge with his 22-year-old daughter, Joelle, in August in memory of Steven Jacobs.
Steven died of an undiagnosed heart condition, and the pair are raising money for Harefield Hospital - pioneers in the research and treatment of heart disease.
David, 50, met Steven at school when he was 10 years old. He said: "Steven was the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet. He was a family man, devoted to his wife and children, and no one had a bad word to say about him."
You may also want to watch:
To prepare for the monumental challenge, David is running or going to the gym every day.
He and Joelle will spend six days climbing Kilimanjaro, and two days walking back down.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Temperatures will reach minus 20, but "the altitude will be the biggest challenge", David said.
He added: "We are excited to be taking on this great challenge to honour the life of a great husband, father and friend."
All money raised will be donated to Harefield Hospital - none will be used to fund the expedition.
To sponsor David, visit www.justgiving.com/davidabrahams1