Enterprise youngsters’ business wares exhibited in Hitchin town centre
- Credit: Archant
Teams of entrepreneurs taking part in the Young Enterprise Company Programme set up trade stands and sold their wares to the public for the first time at the Hitchin Christmas trade fair.
The Young Enterprise Company Programme is an initiative that runs across the country for students aged 15 to 19 – and the teams in Market Place included a group from Hitchin Boys’ School and a company from Lonsdale School in Stevenage.
With support from volunteers in the business world, the students had made all the decisions about their company, from choosing a company name and product to creating a business plan, managing the finances and selling to the public.
Hitchin and Harpenden MP Bim Afolami was joined in judging the teams by Cathryn Henry from Letchworth-based training provider One Degree Development, Ben Mason from Hitchin consultants Compliancy Services, and Mark Galley from Royston chemical firm Johnson Matthey.
Dynamix from Lonsdale School won the award for best trade stand. The prizes for best company, product and business acumen went to the Utilize team from Merchant Taylors’ School near Watford.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Afolami said: “I was hugely impressed with the calibre of all the companies competing, from Merchant Taylors’, Lonsdale and Hitchin Boys’.
“It was very hard to decide on winners as everyone was outstanding. It was great to see young people so switched-on and enthusiastic about what they were doing, as well as being so confident.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
“I commend the work of the Young Entreprise Company Programme – these young people will go far.”