Stevenage Borough Council providing emergency accommodation to rough sleepers during pandemic
- Credit: Yui Mok
Stevenage’s homeless have been given a helping hand by the town’s borough council, which has been providing emergency accommodation to rough sleepers during the coronavirus pandemic.
Stevenage Borough Council has been helping the homeless, and those owed a statutory duty under homeless legislation, to self–isolate safely.
To date, the council says it has secured a substantial amount of units with local hotel providers to accommodate a large amount of individuals to help keep them safe during the pandemic.
Due to demand, the council is likely to require additional accommodation across the borough and is calling on hotels and B&Bs to contact the council’s Temporary Accommodation team on 01438 242242.
Cllr Sharon Taylor, leader of Stevenage Borough Council, said: “It is vital we are able to provide accommodation for our homeless community as soon as possible in order for them to self-isolate. We have therefore been working very hard behind the scenes to access adequate provision to emergency accommodation that will prevent individuals from being put at unnecessary risk.
You may also want to watch:
“Our outreach teams continue to reach out to rough sleepers during this difficult time, providing them with information and advice on how to protect against Covid-19 and encouraging them into service provision.
“Our ‘No More’ substance misuse support service, homeless services and the Hertfordshire Constabulary are working in partnership to ensure there is sufficient support in place during this period. This is a fantastic example of co-operative working in an unprecedented situation.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 9 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals