ELECTIONS: Join us live for all the election results
WITH the nation at the polls today the future political make up of Comet country is in your hands. With 35 candidates battling for five parliamentary seats power could shift in the area in what after four weeks of campaigning is predicted to be one of th
WITH the nation at the polls today the future political make up of Comet country is in your hands.
With 35 candidates battling for five parliamentary seats power could shift in the area in what after four weeks of campaigning is predicted to be one of the closest run elections in a generation.
The four Conservatives incumbents hope to still be in office on Friday, while whatever happens in the currently Labour-held Stevenage constituency, a new face will be in office after the Labour MP stood down.
With a traditionally strong hold in the Home Counties, it would take large swings in Hitchin and Harpenden, North East Herts, Mid Beds and North East Beds to change them from blue to red. But the situation is tight in Stevenage where there was a slim Labour majority of 3,139 in 2005. Both Gordon Brown and David Cameron have tried to sway voters in the marginal seat with visits during the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Our reporters will be at the counts across the area tonight, interviewing candidates and bringing you all the reactions from winners and losers as the results roll in.
Our team will be posting news, reaction and also your comments on our Cover It Live Election Special section of the Comet website from 10pm until the early hours of the morning when the results are expected.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
So join us at www.thecomet24.co.uk and have your say throughout the night on our election forum as history is made.
Local election counts in Stevenage and North Herts, where a third of seats in the authorities will be decided at the ballot box at the same time as the general election, will begin at 2pm tomorrow (Friday).