Elderly Stevenage couple to wed after meeting in sheltered housing
- Credit: Archant
Two pensioners who thought they would never fall in love again will tie the knot next week after meeting in sheltered housing.
Nicholas Hughes met Margaret Burrells just over three years ago when the 67-year-old moved into Shaftsbury Court in Stevenage and saw her playing bingo.
Although it wasn’t love at first sight, Nicholas, who was previously widowed after the death of his wife in 2008, told the Comet that it didn’t take long for the two of them to become inseparable.
He said: “I thought she was lovely. Of course at first we were just friends but then we started spending more time together and things really grew from there.”
But 70-year-old Margaret, who previously worked as a pharmaceutical assistant at Lister Hospital, wasn’t won over easily – Nicholas had to ask for her hand no less than three times before she finally accepted.
You may also want to watch:
“She was quite reluctant at first, which I can understand, but we had already been together such a long time I couldn’t see why not,” said Nicholas.
“We’ve been away with each other a few times but I really got into the idea of getting married when we visited Sperlonga, in Italy, last year. We had such a wonderful time.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
“I don’t think either of us were expecting to fall in love, just because you don’t really expect to at our age, but one thing led to another and here we are. We’re both really excited.
“She has never been married before and doesn’t have any children but my whole family is absolutely taken with her. She was so shy when I first met her – I didn’t think she would ever come out of her shell!
“We’re really very happy and we can’t wait for our friends and family to come and celebrate with us next week.”
The happy couple, who still live in the Stevenage Borough Council-run sheltered housing scheme, will wed on Friday, August 29.
The ceremony is being held at Stevenage Registry Office on Danesgate before they return to Sperlonga for their honeymoon as Mr and Mrs Hughes.