Ten per cent not given a chosen school as results announced

Parents found out last night and this morning if their children had secured a place at their preferred junior, primary or middle schools.

Hertfordshire parents who signed up were alerted yesterday evening by email, while the rest find out today whether their children will go to one of their three chosen under 11 schools.

Nearly 18,000 applications were dealt with by Herts County Council from over 17,500 families in the county.

The majority of these were to primary schools with 14,436 applications for reception places, up 835 on last year. Of these 13,254 were allocated a ranked school - equal to just under 92 per cent. 11,682 children were allocated their first ranked school, up 279 on last year.

To meet extra demand for reception places, which has steadily risen over recent years, more places are being made available at schools. One of these is Hartsfield Primary in Baldock which will have an additional form of entry from September.


You may also want to watch:


Justin Donovan, director of education and early intervention at County Hall, said:

“Starting primary school or moving on to a junior or middle school is an important step and we are pleased that even more children have been allocated a ranked school this year, despite the increase in the number of applications.

Most Read

“We have been working closely with schools over the last two years to create additional reception places and, although across the county as a whole there are enough reception places for all children, schools with vacancies are not in the right locations to cater for the increasing demand for reception places in other towns and communities.

“This year, if in one area it has not been possible to offer a significant number of children a place at one of their ranked schools, and the distance to the nearest school with an available place is over five miles, places have not been offered at this stage in the process but will be offered next month.

“I recognise this is always a difficult time for these parents. However, although allocations for these families will be delayed for a month, I am confident that every child not currently offered a reception place will be offered one at the first run of continuing interest in the week commencing May 14.”

Michala Balharrie in Great Ashby, said she and other families in the neighbourhood were not given one of their ranked schools.

“My son didn’t get into one of his three options. They’ve given us The Leys. There are at least seven of us so far who so far haven’t got their schools. They have not listened to any of our choices. Most people are coming from St Nicholas to Round Diamond which is at the end of our road. But we’ve got to get in the car.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter