Teacher from Stevenage avoids jail after having sexual relationship with student
- Credit: Archant
A married schoolteacher who seduced a 16-year-old pupil into a regular sexual relationship has been spared jail.
Jacqueline Marks admitted six counts of sexual activity while in a position of trust.
The 33-year-old from The Beacons in Stevenage, who is head of maths at a Welwyn Garden City secondary school, was rumbled after the teenager’s girlfriend discovered intimate text messages from the teacher on his iPad.
Marks, who was given a nine-month suspended prison sentence when she appeared at Cambridge Crown Court on Tuesday, said she would have ended the relationship earlier than she did – but didn’t want to upset the boy before his GCSE exams.
Marks, who will be under probation supervision for two years, is also banned from working with male children and will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register.
You may also want to watch:
For the full story see this week’s Comet.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie