Superman, Batman and Where’s Wally all turn out at Hitchin school for World Book Day
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at a Hitchin school got into the spirit of World Book Day by turning up for lessons dressed as their favourite literary characters.
Youngsters at Strathmore Infant and Nursery School in Old Hale Way transformed themselves into famous figures including Winnie the Witch and her cat Wilbur, Superman and Fantastic Mr Fox.
Headteacher Bernadette Holmes said: “Encouraging children to take an interest in reading is so important.
“I’d like to say a big thank you to all our children and the parents who made such an effort to make it such an exciting day on Thursday.
“As part of our World Book Day events we also had a book exchange and a photo competition where pupils brought in pictures of themselves reading in unusual places – such as telephone boxes, in trees, hanging upside down, in front of an aquarium, and even in a shopping trolley!
“I’d also like to thank Sally Fisher who is responsible for the great work with our library.
“She has put in a tremendous amount of hard work to make our World Book Day such a success.”
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Work begins on Gresley Park site for 600 homes