Stevenage sports centre hosts launch day
- Credit: Archant
AN OPEN day to unveil new sports centre facilities has been hailed as “fantastic” by the organiser.
More than 2,000 people came through the doors of Marriotts Sports Centre in Stevenage on Saturday as clubs and groups who use the facilities showcased their talents.
The centre, situated on the site of the recently opened Marriotts Lonsdale School in Brittain Way, now includes an indoor sports hall, a floodlit sports area outside, running track and two dance studios.
More than 20 different clubs and groups attended as the centre was officially declared open by Stevenage mayor John Lloyd and Stevenage wheelchair badminton star Gobi Ranganathan, who is the centre’s ambassador.
“It was a really good day and a chance for all of our hirers and groups to show people what they can do,” said Jamie Drackford, the community, leisure and services manager at the centre.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re so lucky to have these facilities and it was a fantastic community event.”
For more information about the Marriotts Sports Centre visit www.marriottssportscentre.com
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket