Stevenage schools launch ‘groundbreaking’ sixth form partnership
- Credit: Archant
Four secondary schools have joined forces to create a “groundbreaking” sixth form partnership.
Barclay, Barnwell, Marriotts and Nobel have formed Stevenage Sixth – a consortium which aims to offer students involved in post-16 education a wider range of subject choices and qualifications, as well as extra-curricular activities and use of sporting facilities.
Two of the schools – Marriotts and Nobel – have recently undergone multi-million pound redevelopments, while Barnwell is currently in the process of building a new sixth form facility on its original campus.
“I am extremely excited to be involved in this groundbreaking collaboration between four strong schools,” said Barclay headteacher Debbie Upton.
“Working together, we will be able to offer a wide range of courses to suit all abilities and ambitions: from
traditional, academic A-levels to a full range of professional and vocational courses – with all the benefits of
a school setting. Stevenage Sixth will raise the aspirations of young people across Stevenage and in the surrounding areas.”
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 7 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
Nobel headteacher Martyn Henson said: “This exciting collaboration between four key schools in Stevenage is essential if we are serious about making a co-ordinated and comprehensive offer to young people across the town. Nobel is committed to working in partnership in order to maximise opportunities for all students.”
All four of the schools are holding opening evenings for prospective students, beginning on Thursday from 6-8pm at Marriotts in Brittain Way and Barnwell Middle School in Collenswood Road.
Year 7-9 students at Barnwell relocated to the former Collenswood School site in September from the school’s original campus, with an official opening day held on Friday.
Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland attended, planting a tree to mark the occasion.