Stevenage schoolgirls paired with inspirational women in speed-dating style careers event to mark International Women’s Day
- Credit: Archant
Schoolgirls in Stevenage tasked with choosing their GCSE options later this year were given a boost at a careers event on Monday which championed women in industry.
The pupils, all in Year 9 at The Thomas Alleyne Academy, paired up to quiz ‘Inspirational Women’ in a speed-dating style set up at the Old Town campus. Inclusion manager Laura Dowle said: “The idea of this event is to open the young ladies’ eyes to careers they may not have considered.”
The students had 21/2 minutes with each professional – whose careers ranged from solicitors, nurses and police officers to electricians, carpenters and gardeners – to get a feel for the work they do and whether it might be for them.
Pupil Lauren Snook said: “I really enjoyed speaking to the physiotherapist and learning more about her career, which was a surprise to me because I’m interested in cooking and wanted to be a chef.”
One of the women who attended was carpenter Nicola Butcher, who said: “It was a privilege to inspire and encourage the young women of the future and spread the word that the construction industry is not just for men.”
You may also want to watch:
In its second year, the event marked International Women’s Day at the school, and comes after the ‘Men@Work’ event for the boys back in February.
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 4 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602