Stevenage school leisure centre takeover
THE future of a leisure centre has been secured after it was confirmed the site will be run by a school.
Barnwell School in Stevenage will run Shephall Leisure Centre when it reopens in a month’s time after negotiations with previous owners Stevenage Leisure Ltd, which said it was running at an unsustainable loss.
Outside groups using the facility had feared it would not remain open for public use but the school has confirmed it is available for hire for clubs.
The centre on the school’s west campus closed on Friday, November 30, to allow the handover to take place, and will be renamed the Barnwell Community Sports Centre when it reopens on Monday, January 7.
Headteacher Tony Fitzpatrick said: “Barnwell School is very pleased to be able to continue its commitment to the local community while also maintaining the sports space for its students.
You may also want to watch:
“We are delighted to be able to offer an excellent sports centre facility to local associations, clubs and sporting groups.
“We are looking forward to working with our local community in the promotion of sport and leisure activities.”
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
To enquire about using the facility email the school at email@example.com