Stevenage and Letchworth schools to take more pupils in September
- Credit: Archant
Two schools will be taking in extra pupils in September to help ease the pressure on the county’s oversubscribed primary school places.
Roebuck Primary School in Stevenage and Letchworth’s Wilbury Junior School will both accept more students into reception.
Roebuck, in St Margarets, will increase its intake from 30 pupils to 60 each year, a two-form entry model which will eventually double the size of the school.
And Wilbury Junior School in Bedford Road will take 10 more pupils which will give it three full forms of entry.
Roebuck headteacher Richard Fordham said: “We are an up and coming school and we have made a lot of changes over the last year and a half.
“I think it will be good for the school and good for the area. Building work has already started.
“I am very excited about the opportunities it will bring us.”
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 6 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 7 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 8 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 9 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 10 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
A spokesman for Herts County Council, which oversees school places, said: “Hertfordshire is facing demographic pressures which mean there is a significant increase in the number of children needing school places.
“It is a priority to make sure young people get a good start in life at one of our many excellent schools.
“Despite ongoing financial challenges, we are committed to ensuring that where the county’s population grows we build the appropriate infrastructure.
“The expansion at Roebuck Primary from one form entry to two form entry and Wilbury Junior School by 10 places will have a positive impact for existing pupils, staff and the local community.”