Prime Minister David Cameron’s praise for Letchworth school in centenary year
- Credit: PA
St Christopher School has been championed by the Prime Minister in its centenary year.
David Cameron has written to the Letchworth boarding school to congratulate staff and students on their progressive approach to education.
He also singled out the school’s commitment to international development and its sustainability projects as being worthy of praise.
The Prime Minister wrote: “I am delighted to send my best wishes to everyone involved with St Christopher School as you celebrate your centenary.
“St Christopher has adopted a progressive approach to education since its founding.
You may also want to watch:
“As an eco-school, you continue to place sustainability at the heart of school life.
“Students growing, harvesting and selling vegetables on site is an excellent way to demonstrate this commitment and the talks and presentations that take place are a great way to raise awareness of global environmental issues.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
“I also note the school’s commitment to international development, with students visiting places as diverse as Rajasthan, Kosovo, and the Indian Himalayas to discover more about the communities that live there.
“This type of global engagement will be so beneficial for all the students at St Christopher, when they ultimately leave school and explore the modern world. Please accept my best wishes for the future.”
Headteacher Richard Palmer said: “We were delighted to receive the Prime Minister’s letter congratulating us on our centenary.
“A St Chris education is a distinctive and highly successful one and it is good that this is recognised by Mr Cameron.
“We are proud of our academic achievements and the opportunities we give young people to be involved in community projects locally, nationally and internationally.
“We are also very proud of our environmental work and the commitment of our pupils to a sustainable future.”