Prime Minister David Cameron’s praise for Letchworth school in centenary year
- Credit: PA
St Christopher School has been championed by the Prime Minister in its centenary year.
David Cameron has written to the Letchworth boarding school to congratulate staff and students on their progressive approach to education.
He also singled out the school’s commitment to international development and its sustainability projects as being worthy of praise.
The Prime Minister wrote: “I am delighted to send my best wishes to everyone involved with St Christopher School as you celebrate your centenary.
“St Christopher has adopted a progressive approach to education since its founding.
“As an eco-school, you continue to place sustainability at the heart of school life.
“Students growing, harvesting and selling vegetables on site is an excellent way to demonstrate this commitment and the talks and presentations that take place are a great way to raise awareness of global environmental issues.
- 1 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 2 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 3 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 7 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
“I also note the school’s commitment to international development, with students visiting places as diverse as Rajasthan, Kosovo, and the Indian Himalayas to discover more about the communities that live there.
“This type of global engagement will be so beneficial for all the students at St Christopher, when they ultimately leave school and explore the modern world. Please accept my best wishes for the future.”
Headteacher Richard Palmer said: “We were delighted to receive the Prime Minister’s letter congratulating us on our centenary.
“A St Chris education is a distinctive and highly successful one and it is good that this is recognised by Mr Cameron.
“We are proud of our academic achievements and the opportunities we give young people to be involved in community projects locally, nationally and internationally.
“We are also very proud of our environmental work and the commitment of our pupils to a sustainable future.”