Panel backs Stevenage schools expansion plans
- Credit: Archant
EXPANSION plans at five schools were backed by a county council education panel on Wednesday, despite a mixed response from those consulted.
Members of Hertfordshire County Council’s education and skills cabinet panel passed a recommendation which would see numbers increase at four Stevenage schools – Giles Nursery and Infants, Giles Juniors, Letchmore Infants and Almond Hill Juniors – as well as Walkern Primary School.
If the plans get the go-ahead, an extra 30 pupils would start at both Giles Infants and Letchmore Infants in September 2014, feeding into Giles Juniors and Almond Hill Juniors respectively. Numbers at Walkern Primary would increase by 10.
The scheme would see extra classrooms added with additional funding to improve existing facilities.
The recommendation follows a six-week public consultation where the number of responses were low and opinions mixed.
More respondents were against the proposals at both Giles schools than in favour, a trend repeated in relation to Almond Hill.
The expansion at Letchmore Infants has received more support than opposition, while comments about Walkern Primary have been evenly split, for and against.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 5 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 6 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 7 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 8 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 9 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 10 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
Among the issues raised were concerns about traffic congestion and parking, as well as a lack of facilities to accommodate the extra students.
The plans will now be discussed at Cabinet on Monday and, if agreed, will be subject to further consultation.