North Hertfordshire College student on her Hitchin beauty business
- Credit: Archant
North Hertfordshire College (NHC) has been producing successful students for more than 15 years.
Last week the Comet detailed the success of Darryl Stewart and Paul Klein in their sports company, this week it is all about Joanna Webb and her prosperous beauty business.
Created more than five years ago, Vanity Beauty Academy is a beauty salon and training school for those who wish to get into the beauty industry.
Starting studies at NHC in 1999 and finishing in 2002, Joanna, 31, completed an NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 course in Beauty Therapy and a Diploma in Holistics and Stress Management. The courses that are available to study at VBA range from Indian head massages to pregnancy massages, spray tanning to artistic colour gloss gel nail art.
After completing both her courses, Joanna became a member of staff at NHC while undertaking teacher training. With both of her qualifications behind her, Joanna then moved on to setting up Vanity Beauty Academy which is now her focus.
Comet intern Chloe Burden, who took part in the college’s Big Student Takeover, asked Joanna about what aspect of being a member of NHC helped give her the experience necessary for making a successful business.
She said: “Being a tutor was better as I was able to experience more of the industry.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 10 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
Joanna added that studying at NHC gave her foundation training and with her qualifications and experience she was able to go straight into the industry and begin working in salons and eventually even set up her own business.
Vanity Beauty Academy can be found on Sun Street in Hitchin. For more information about Vanity Beauty Academy visit www.vanitybeautyacademy.com or call 01462 438883.