North East Beds MP Alistair Burt and RAF Henlow officer open new pre-school
- Credit: Archant
North East Beds MP Alistair Burt joined forces with an RAF Henlow officer on Friday to formally declare a new pre-school open.
Mr Burt and Flight Lieutenant Gavin Nicholson opened the new Caterpillars class for three-year-olds at Derwent Lower School in Hitchin Road.
The MP spent time visiting the classes and meeting the children after opening the new 26-place pre-school, which has been created as part of a wider refurbishment at Derwent also including a new ICT suite.
He said: “I had a super time at the school and am very impressed with what had been achieved.
“It was good to be able to meet the children and be shown round the new classroom, and I was delighted to be given some very lovely thank you notes and drawings.
You may also want to watch:
“Well done to everyone involved in getting this project completed.”
The pre-school was created in response to demand for the free 30-hour places available from this month for working parents.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
Headteacher James Adkins told the Comet: “I am delighted with the addition of a pre-school to Derwent Lower. It means that children can now join Derwent from three years old and enjoy our brand new provision, which is led by a qualified teacher and supported by a qualified nursery nurse to improve their readiness for statutory schooling.
“Although we have only been open for two weeks, it is great to see the children having access to our facilities – which include a large playing field, hall, ICT suite and sunshine room.
“The children’s familiarity with Derwent will improve their transition and make it easier to start school.”
Places are available for children who turned three before August 31 this year, and registration forms are available for next year’s January, April and September intakes.
Fundraising for the pre-school was supported by the actor Simon Pegg – who donated two signed DVDs to help raise money – as well as GB Construction (Herts), Kier Construction, Roddy and Reid Construction, ACO Technologies, First Response Fire Safety, the school’s PTA and RAF Henlow.
To find out more, contact the school office on 01462 812047 or email email@example.com.