Letchworth student ‘Wynns’ national competition
A STUDENT from a Letchworth GC school has come top of the class in the annual National Science and Engineering competition.
Highfield School pupil Jessica Wynn, of Hitchin, won the top prize in the Science and Maths category as part of The Big Bang: UK Scientists’ and Engineers’ Fair.
Jessica’s project compared the measured pollution data with predictions from a data model, assessed whether pollutants at the certain locations were above lawful levels and then evaluated the equipment used to measure pollution.
Speaking after her victory, Jessica said: “It was a fantastic experience and I am so honoured and surprised to have won. I met some fantastic people as well.”
Professor Brian Cox, one of the competition’s judges at the London event, said: “The standard of entries was outstanding and the judging process proved much harder than expected. The judges were left truly overwhelmed by all the finalist’s projects and it’s wonderful to witness such enthusiasm and dedication from young people, such as Jessica. It’s left me hugely excited about the future of science in the UK.”
You may also want to watch:
The Highfield School was also celebrating after gaining national recognition for their work at GCSE level.
The school were commended by the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust for achieving high value-added scores - which demonstrate progress made by students between 11 and 16 - for their 2010 GCSE results.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 7 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
Headteacher Ian Morris said: “I’m enormously proud of the work we are doing at The Highfield School and really pleased that there is this external recognition of our achievements.”