Letchworth school skiers stranded in flights fiasco
A SCHOOL’S seasonal skiing trip across the pond nearly ruined Christmas for many families as parents faced an anxious wait to see if their daughters would make it back for Christmas Day.
A total of 23 schoolgirls from St Francis’ College, along with staff from the Letchworth GC school, were left stranded for five days in the USA before they finally got a flight home to the UK on Christmas Eve.
Initially 31 girls from the Broadway-based school had flown out for the skiing trip in Jay Peak, Vermont.
But despite eight students managing to get flights home, 23 girls faced a Christmas abroad as they were subjected to two cancellations - one in Boston on December 19 and another in Chicago last Tuesday.
With time running out, they eventually boarded a flight in Chicago on Christmas Eve and landed in London Heathrow in time for the seasonal festivities.
You may also want to watch:
One of the stranded students, Katy Stroomer, said: “Everyone got back safely and we were met at Heathrow and welcomed back with open arms by our families.
“There were many tears and hugs all round but we were all so glad we had got back for Christmas!”
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 7 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
The 14-year-old added: “We’d also like to give a special thanks to our teachers as they were great when we were out there.
“Although they wanted to come home just as much as us, they managed to keep our spirits up and keep us entertained all the time!”