Letchworth school halts academy status pursuit
A SCHOOL is not to become an academy because the advantages “are not clear or tangible enough”, it was revealed yesterday (Thursday).
The Highfield School in Letchworth GC has decided not to pursue academy status, which would make the school independent from local authority control.
Education secretary Michael Gove announced in May last year that every single school in England would be invited to become an academy under sweeping education reforms, and so far uptake has passed the 1,000 mark.
“The governing body has decided not to pursue academy status for The Highfield School at this time,” said the school governors in a statement.
“We believe that while there are some aspects of academies which are doubtless advantageous, at the moment the advantages for The Highfield School are not clear or tangible enough.”
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Ian Morris said: “I would like to thank all those who took part in our consultation process. We consulted parents, staff and the wider community and we have listened to their views. It was important that we explored the option of becoming an academy.”
Keith Robertson, chairman of governors, added: “The Highfield School remains as committed as ever to serving the local community and providing a first class education for local residents. The governing body have committed to keep this decision under regular review, and to revisit this decision as the when the situation changes.”
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 10 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable