Letchworth classmates meet for diamond jubilee reunion
FORMER classmates came from three different continents for a reunion which was 60 years in the making.
Those who started together at Letchworth Grammar School in September 1952 held their own diamond jubilee celebration last Tuesday.
A total of 21 former pupils met at The Chequers pub in Stotfold for the occasion, with some travelling from the USA and South Africa, as well as Devon, Durham and Derbyshire.
They were joined by Jed Whelan, the current headteacher of Fearnhill School in Letchworth GC, who spoke about the school in its current form after it replaced the grammar school in the 1970s.
Mr Whelan also brought memorabilia from the grammar school along to the reunion, including the school’s flag.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Dave Thompson, who was able to locate about 30 former classmates in total following an article in the Comet, said: “It went very well and I’ve had lots of feedback from the people who went to say how they enjoyed it.
“The article in the paper brought in a few extra names and it made quite a difference to the numbers. Unfortunately some people couldn’t come this time because of other commitments so they want to do something else and those who were there said we must do this again.”
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?