It all adds up for Norton St Nicholas in Letchworth inter-school maths contest
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from five primary schools calculated their moves as they took part in a numbers competition in Letchworth.
The Mathalon, hosted by the maths department at Fearnhill School in Icknield Way, included teams from Letchworth’s Garden City Academy, Norton St Nicholas Primary, Pixmore Junior and Wilbury Junior schools, as well as Purwell Primary School in Hitchin.
The close-run competition included a range of maths activies involving collaboration with peers, and ended with Norton St Nicholas taking the lead in the final round to win the title.
The victorious team included Nicholas Battarbee, Louis Harvey, Samuel Straughan and Zachary Devine.
St Nicholas head Stephen Cowdery told the Comet: “We’re really delighted they won.
“It’s a wonderful thing for the children to show their maths ability off, and it was a fun event for them to take part in with other schools.
“We’re really pleased with the achievement, and we’ve celebrated it in the school as well.”
- 1 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 2 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 8 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 9 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
Fearnhill maths head Emma Williams added: “We loved seeing the enthuasism shown by the young students, and it was a pleasure welcoming them to Fearnhill.”