It all adds up for Norton St Nicholas in Letchworth inter-school maths contest
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from five primary schools calculated their moves as they took part in a numbers competition in Letchworth.
The Mathalon, hosted by the maths department at Fearnhill School in Icknield Way, included teams from Letchworth’s Garden City Academy, Norton St Nicholas Primary, Pixmore Junior and Wilbury Junior schools, as well as Purwell Primary School in Hitchin.
The close-run competition included a range of maths activies involving collaboration with peers, and ended with Norton St Nicholas taking the lead in the final round to win the title.
The victorious team included Nicholas Battarbee, Louis Harvey, Samuel Straughan and Zachary Devine.
St Nicholas head Stephen Cowdery told the Comet: “We’re really delighted they won.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a wonderful thing for the children to show their maths ability off, and it was a fun event for them to take part in with other schools.
“We’re really pleased with the achievement, and we’ve celebrated it in the school as well.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
Fearnhill maths head Emma Williams added: “We loved seeing the enthuasism shown by the young students, and it was a pleasure welcoming them to Fearnhill.”