Inspectors praise head for Stevenage school’s makeover
- Credit: Archant
A headteacher says her school is making rapid progress after an improved Ofsted report.
Marriotts School, on Brittian Way, was visited in October by inspectors who published their findings on Friday.
They found that the school’s leadership and management, the behaviour and safety of pupils and the sixth form provisions were all good and had particular praise for headteacher Beth Honnor.
The report said: “The new headteacher has brought about rapid improvements to all aspects of the school’s work.
“She has established an environment in which all staff and students are valued and supported.”
You may also want to watch:
It did find that the quality of teaching and achievement of pupils at the school required improvement.
Ms Honnor welcomed its conclusions and says her school’s progress to an outstanding report is fully on track.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
She added: “Marriotts is a school that is on a journey of rapid improvement and we recognise we now need to focus on making every subject as good as the most successful.
“Our careful monitoring of student progress shows GCSE and A-level results in summer 2015 will break all records, and will be another milestone on the journey to make Marriotts an outstanding school.”
The school’s reports have steadily improved since it was found unsatisfactory in an inspection published two years ago – which led its then-head Patrick Marshall to resign.
The report also stated that students and staff told inspectors that Ms Honnor has transformed the culture of the school and that all students now thrive and aspire to be their best, in a harmonious community.
She added: “I am particularly pleased that the inspectors saw that standards are rising quickly, that we ensure every student has an equal opportunity to succeed and that Marriotts has ‘good capacity to continue to improve’, thanks to ‘good leadership and management’ and ‘good student behaviour’.”
For more visit www.ofsted.gov.uk and search for Marriotts School.