Hitchin dancing dads take a dip into Swan Lake
- Credit: Archant
Four rather unusual swans took to the stage on Saturday to take flight in a ballet school’s annual dance recital.
James Jury, Steve Hague, Joel Ide and Andrew Russell slipped on tutus, tights and ballet shoes for the Hitchin School of Dance show.
The four dads, who all have children at the dance school, performed Cygnet Quartet from Swan Lake.
Computer programmer James has taken inspiration from his nine-year-old daughter Pippa and son Mitch, 11, who have been going to the school for about five years.
The 40-year-old, who lives in Hitchin’s Bearton Avenue, said: “My wife put me forward for it, I wasn’t desperately into putting on a tutu, but I will do anything to embarrass the kids. It was stressful, nerve wracking, embarrassing, I have never done anything like this before but it was good fun. It was definitely an experience.
“We didn’t keep the tutus, but we did keep the tights and ballet shoes. So you never know, maybe I’ll put them on again to do the washing up.”
School principal Lorrayne Spindler took the four men under her wing.
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
She said: “They have worked so hard and their enthusiasm and commitment has completely overwhelmed me.”