GCSE results day 2017: St Francis’ College, Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Girls at St Francis’ College in Letchworth are celebrating after every one of them passed the new English and maths GCSEs.
Every pupil passed English and maths with grade passes from 1 to 9, with 88 per cent receiving a grade of 5 or higher in maths.
Some 87 per cent got grade 5 or higher in English, with 84 per cent doing so in English literature.
In other subjects, which retain the old A*-G grading system, 95 per cent of pupils gained at least five GCSEs at grade C or higher.
Top performers included Charlotte Ashwin, Becky Aldridge and Alix Wentworth-Foster – who attained all A*s, 8s and 9s. Twins Isabel and Louise Frolich also did well, receiving all A* to B grades.
Charlotte said: “I am thrilled with my results and I’m thankful for all the help I’ve received in the last two years from my teachers. I couldn’t be happier.”
Alix added: “Speechless, I’m just so happy.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
Olly Foster, Alix’s father, said: “We are so proud of her. It just shows that a lot of hard work usually pays off – she certainly doesn’t get her brains from me.”
Headteacher Bronwen Goulding told the Comet: “St Francis’ College are celebrating another year of outstanding results with a pass rate of 96.4 per cent at A* to C/4, compared with the national average of 66.3 per cent.
“Well over half the grades were A*/A or equivalent, and a quarter of those A* or equivalent.
“In the new reformed GCSEs of maths and English, 46 per cent of all grades were in the 7 to 9 band – A* to A equivalent.
“Another set of excellent results in which our girls have flourished. I am very proud of the hard work of both girls and staff in achieving these outstanding outcomes in a climate of uncertainty.”