Football pundit Guillem Balague inspires students in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Sports journalist, pundit and author Guillem Balague was at Hitchin’s Priory School yesterday to speak to eager students about all things football.
Sky Sports pundit and Biggleswade United lynchpin Guillem was at Hitchin’s Waterstones shop at the weekend, signing his biography of Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino – and he told the Priory pupils how his writing journey had begun when he was a 12-year-old football fan.
Speaking to the Comet, he said: “It was a pleasure to spend time with the kids at the school. If I have learnt anything in my life it is that sharing experiences is so rewarding.
“I repeated to them some of the advice I heard when I was their age and that I kept with me. I enjoyed their curiosity and questions, and I think we might have recruited three or four players for Biggleswade United!
“All and all, it was a great way to spend the morning.”
Guillem, originally from Barcelona, told the pupils he had followed his dream to write and tell stories about football like a dog with a bone.
He said that after securing a job with a football magazine in Spain, he approached Sky Sports about visiting their headquarters – and jumped at the chance to appear on camera at two minutes’ notice to talk about Spanish football.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
His journalistic career took off from there, as he was rewarded with regular work on Sky Sports shows such as Revista de la Liga – focusing on the Spanish league – as well as hosting radio and TV shows in both Spain and England.
Guillem, who calls Hitchin his adopted hometown, now also serves as director of football at Biggleswade United, and has written biographies of footballing icons like Pep Guardiola, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
A spokeswoman for the Bedford Road school said: “Students were enthralled by Guillem’s tales of meeting the world’s best footballers, how to get into writing and how to make the most of the football teams to which they now belong.
“Here’s hoping we have the next Harry Kane in our midst at The Priory School! Huge thanks to Guillem and his team for giving up their time.”
Guillem’s keen interest in non-League football memorably saw him intervene on behalf of Hitchin Town when their Top Field ground was threatened in 2014, penning a Sky Sports editorial calling for support.