Education: Protesters to gather
PROTESTERS will be waving banners outside County Hall this Monday to object to plans to close their school. Around 60 people from Westbury School, in West View, Letchworth GC, will be taking part in the protest outside council headquarters in Hertford. Mo
PROTESTERS will be waving banners outside County Hall this Monday to object to plans to close their school.
Around 60 people from Westbury School, in West View, Letchworth GC, will be taking part in the protest outside council headquarters in Hertford.
Monday's meeting is the latest to discuss the closure of the school, a decision which came about because the council believes there are too many spare school places in Letchworth GC and cuts must be made to reduce them.
At the meeting councillors will also discuss the planned closure of Lannock Primary School which is located in Whiteway.
You may also want to watch:
Westbury parent Alison Reynolds said: "The school has an occasional day so we have pupils coming down as well. We are keeping our fingers crossed."
On October 3 last year the council's education panel agreed to keep Westbury open because its admission numbers were rising, but this was quashed by the council's Cabinet two weeks later which voted for closure.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
The council then put out statutory notices to inform the public about its decision to close the schools in 2009 and Monday's meeting will discuss the results of these notices.
Three objections to closing Lannock were received while 87 objections, a petition with 1,095 signatures and a ballot of 565 names were received objecting to the closure of Westbury.