Choir and lip-reading classes set to start as new season of adult education courses gets underway at Letchworth Settlement
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth Settlement’s new season of courses is now in full swing, with adult learners picking up skills such as floristry, singing and more.
The adult education centre in Nevells Road, one of the few still going across the UK, is set to mark its centenary in four years’ time. It operates as a charity and has about 700 students on its books.
The classes have included flower arranging, taught by Helen Allen from floral specialists Verdila and focusing on seashore and succulents.
“The classes have gone very well and have been very popular,” said Helen.
“Everyone has said how much they enjoyed having the chance to do something a little bit different.”
Helen’s classes return this Tuesday and Friday, while the centre’s new choir – the Settlement Singers, led by Lorna Reay – kicks off on Monday night at 7.30pm.
Louise Reed’s lip-reading class is set to start on Friday at 10am.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 8 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
Later in the month there will be a chance to have a glimpse into the lives of royalty when Eric McClaughlin, formerly of the households staff, visits on Friday, September 30 – and in October an exhibition will be held showing the work of some of the classes.
To find out more call 01462 682828 or have a look at letchworthsettlement.org.uk.