Children’s writer and illustrator Lauren Child delights Letchworth fans at St Francis’ College and David’s Bookshop
- Credit: Archant
More than 150 starstruck Letchworth schoolchildren had the chance to meet award-winning writer and illustrator Lauren Child when she visited the town on Thursday.
The author of the Charlie and Lola series read her book One Thing to children aged four to seven at St Francis’ College, with Hillshott, St Christopher and St Thomas More pupils also in attendance.
She spoke about how she thought of ideas and put her stories together, and signed books for the children.
One young St Francis’ pupil said: “I liked when she put the flower dress on. It was like her own dress.”
A child from Hillshott added: “I liked the stories, and getting my new Charlie and Lola book. Lauren put my name in it.”
You may also want to watch:
The same day, Lauren – who is also the author of the Clarice Bean and Ruby Redfort series, among others – met the general public at David’s Bookshop in Eastcheap, signing books and talking to young fans.
David’s boss Paul Wallace said: “We’re thrilled to host Lauren Child. She’s such an important figure in British children’s literature.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin
Next week journalist Samir Jeraj will be speaking at David’s on Monday, and Glyn Maxwell will be visiting three days later.
For more on future visits and events see davids-bookshops.co.uk.