‘Emergency demonstration’ to be held outside Stevenage school after news of head’s departure
- Credit: Courtesy of Jill Borcherds - tak
A Stevenage county councillor will hold an ‘emergency demonstration’ outside Barclay Academy tomorrow morning in response to the news headteacher Mark Allchorn will be leaving at Easter.
Councillor Joshua Bennett Lovell, who represents the Stevenage Old Town ward for Herts County Council, says he has “no confidence” in the leadership of Future Academies Trust – which took over the running of the school on February 1 – following the decision.
Dr Matthew Laban has already been appointed to replace Mr Allchorn by FAT.
Speaking to the Comet, Mr Lovell said: “Publicly, I want to thank Mr Allchorn for everything he has done for the local school community since taking on the challenging role over two years ago.
“He has proven that with energy and vision, massive school improvement within the local authority is achievable, winning the trust and respect of so many parents and carers in the process. I wish him the very best for what he has planned next, and fully respect his reasons for departing the school at this time.
You may also want to watch:
“However, I now want to state on public record that I have no confidence in the decision-making process applied to convert the school, and no confidence in the leadership of Future Academies Trust in making impartial decisions which will affect our community. No-one can honestly assess this situation and arrive at any other conclusion.
“I am holding an emergency demonstration at the school gates tomorrow morning – at 7.30am – and I welcome the whole town’s attendance. Our MP and FAT must be held accountable for the damage done to our community. We must demand an immediate public inquiry into this decision, with the option to bring our school back into local authority control if the decision has been found unfair or to have been biased.”
- 1 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 2 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising