Award for Hitchin school teacher
A HITCHIN school teacher is “delighted” to have won a national award for his contribution to an out-of-hours science class.
Andrew Jackson, who teaches physics at Hitchin Girls School, has run the astronomy master classes after school for the last seven years.
His hard work was recognised at the national TES School Awards in London’s Hilton Hotel, where he was crowned the winner in the Outstanding Teaching Resource of the Year category.
He had beaten many other hopefuls, after being shortlisted earlier this year.
“I am obviously delighted to have won against some very stiff competition, and am looking forward to continuing to run this course for many years to come,” said Mr Jackson.
You may also want to watch:
“While awards like this are categorically not why I do what I do, it is a great honour and privilege to have been recognised by my peers in this way.”
Mr Jackson’s 12-hour courses were labelled as “epic”, “awesome”, “interesting”, and “informative” by pupils.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
He was commended for being an excellent communicator in the field, for his love of the subject and for his ability to engage students.
HGS headteacher Frances Manning said that the award was fully deserved.
“Andrew is a very worthy winner of this award, which recognises the innovative approach that he has to his teaching,” she said.
“Our students gain so much from him and I am delighted that he has received this national award which is so richly deserved.”