�43m schools project reaches milestone
A major schools building project in Stevenage has reached a milestone.
Completion of the superstructure of new school buildings at Marriotts School in Stevenage was celebrated on Friday with a ‘topping out’ ceremony.
The �43m scheme funded by a private finance initiative will house pupils at the current secondary school as well as those at nearby Lonsdale School for children with physical and neurological disabilities.
The new buildings as well as an extension and refurbishment of the existing Marriotts gym are due for completion in the summer, ready to open in September. On completion the old school will be knocked down and the area used for sports pitches.
Terry Douris, deputy cabinet member for education and skills at Herts County Council joined Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland, headteachers Patrick Marshall of Marriotts and Maria White of Lonsdale and representatives from builders Balfour Beatty at the construction site.
Cllr Douris said: “The school will bring wonderful educational benefits for all, both now and in the future, and a great new sporting facility for the whole community.”
Mr McPartland added: “Bringing Marriotts and Lonsdale together is an exciting project and I am proud we are delivering this new school for generations of Stevenage children. We will now be watching closely to assess improvements in exam results and pupil attainment”.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
The ceremony involved pupils Jordan Williams from Lonsdale and Amy Price from Marriotts smoothing out two slabs of concrete, which will be laid in the grounds of the new school.