�43m schools project reaches milestone
A major schools building project in Stevenage has reached a milestone.
Completion of the superstructure of new school buildings at Marriotts School in Stevenage was celebrated on Friday with a ‘topping out’ ceremony.
The �43m scheme funded by a private finance initiative will house pupils at the current secondary school as well as those at nearby Lonsdale School for children with physical and neurological disabilities.
The new buildings as well as an extension and refurbishment of the existing Marriotts gym are due for completion in the summer, ready to open in September. On completion the old school will be knocked down and the area used for sports pitches.
Terry Douris, deputy cabinet member for education and skills at Herts County Council joined Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland, headteachers Patrick Marshall of Marriotts and Maria White of Lonsdale and representatives from builders Balfour Beatty at the construction site.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Douris said: “The school will bring wonderful educational benefits for all, both now and in the future, and a great new sporting facility for the whole community.”
Mr McPartland added: “Bringing Marriotts and Lonsdale together is an exciting project and I am proud we are delivering this new school for generations of Stevenage children. We will now be watching closely to assess improvements in exam results and pupil attainment”.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
The ceremony involved pupils Jordan Williams from Lonsdale and Amy Price from Marriotts smoothing out two slabs of concrete, which will be laid in the grounds of the new school.