Eco award for school
GREEN Beans have taken a green prize. Lonsdale School in Stevenage has been highly commended in the schools category of the 2006 Rotary Environment Awards The awards, open to any individual or organisation based in Beds, Herts or Bucks, aim to encourage l
GREEN Beans have taken a green prize.
Lonsdale School in Stevenage has been highly commended in the schools category of the 2006 Rotary Environment Awards
The awards, open to any individual or organisation based in Beds, Herts or Bucks, aim to encourage local action to improve the environment by publicising success stories.
They were the brainchild of internationally renowned environmentalist Professor David Bellamy and are supported financially by businesses and local authorities.
Rotarian David Brown, the awards organiser, congratulated the team of Green Beans from Lonsdale who drive the school's sustainability programme and handed over a cheque for £100 and a framed certificate signed by Prof Bellamy.
At a special assembly featuring the World Environment Day, Mr Brown told pupils and staff that the judges of the Rotary competition were really impressed by the way in which the school enables children to work together to overcome environmental concerns and issues.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
Teacher Claudia Thiele, who helped the pupils submit their entry, said that everyone at the school was delighted to receive the award and that their activities have been recognised.
Lonsdale has recently achieved silver status in the Eco Schools scheme.
Opened in 1971, the school is for pupils with physical and neurological impairments. To learn more about the school, visit its website on www.lons dale.herts.sch.uk
To find out more about the Rotary Environment Awards scheme, go on the website www.rotary-environment.org