Duo given trial at Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Plus, Boro v Leeds United report and photo gallery
Stevenage have given trials to two former Championship players while at the same time announcing that Lucas Akins is likely to leave the club soon, writes Damion Roberts.
Boro have handed trials to Gerardo Bruna, formerly of Blackpool, and Jack Deaman, a former Birmingham City player, and both featured in the 2-0 friendly defeat to Watford on Saturday and the 3-0 home loss to Leeds United on Tuesday evening.
At the same time, former Stevenage player Darren Murphy is training with the club. The midfielder left Boro after his contract expired in May 2012.
The club this week announced that Akins is likely to leave for an undisclosed fee. The winger featured in Saturday’s defeat, but was taken off at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Anthony Grant left the club last week while David Gray and Marcus Haber are also transfer-listed as manager Graham Westley reshapes his squad ahead of the season opener on August 3.
Luke Varney scored a hat-trick on Tuesday night to inflict defeat on Boro in the club’s latest pre-season friendly.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Stevenage had the better of the opening half-hour, but despite Oumare Tounkara, Jon Ashton and Greg Tansey all having chances they were unable to take the lead.
Varney opened the scoring on 70 minutes with a neat header into the corner past Chris Day before he then ran on to a quickly taken Michael Brown free-kick and fired home.
The third goal came from the penalty spot after Ashton and Sam Wedgbury rose with Aiden White and the Leeds man fell to the ground, allowing Varney to step up for his hat-trick goal.
Boro host a Manchester United XI this Friday.
Stevenage: Day, Wedgbury (Deaman 84), Ashton, Jones (Deacon 75), Charles, Heslop, Freeman (Bruna 84), Tansey (Dunne 68), Tounkara, Lopez (Shroot 75), Burrow (Hills 60). Subs: Thompson, Akins, Ball.