Drivers offered free catalytic converter marking today
- Credit: Archant
DRIVERS are being offered free catalytic converter marking.
HERTFORDSHIRE Constabulary is working with Ashwell Garage on Station Road in Ashwell, near Baldock to promote a free catalytic converter marking event for owners of diesel cars and vans up to 3500 kgs gross vehicle weight, from today (Monday).
The theft of catalytic converters has been one type of crime that has been rising, due to the high price of metal in recent years.
Marking the converters makes it much easier for police to trace where it came from, and therefore it’s much less appealing to would be thieves.
Owners of vehicles who wish to use this free marking service are asked to call the garage on 01462 742310 to arrange an appointment, and the marking takes a maximum 10 minutes for each vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Paul Lawrence of the crime reduction unit said: “The theft of catalytic converters, particularly from diesel vans has been a recurring problem over the last couple of years, as thieves target the units for their precious metals and are relatively easy to access.
“Marking the converters makes them much less appealing to thieves as they can easily be traced back to where they were stolen from. Many reputable scrap metal dealers now routinely record who they buy metal from, meaning we have a good chance of catching the person that stole the unit.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes