POLICE are hunting a gunman who carried out a series of drive-by shootings targeting houses late at night. The mystery gunman struck in Biggleswade, Sutton and Dunton on Thursday night causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage. Six houses suffered shatte
POLICE are hunting a gunman who carried out a series of drive-by shootings targeting houses late at night.
The mystery gunman struck in Biggleswade, Sutton and Dunton on Thursday night causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage.
Six houses suffered shattered windows after being struck by steel ball bearings fired from a BB gun.
Police say the gun was so powerful the balls penetrated double glazing and if they had struck people inside the homes the incidents could have had tragic consequences.
You may also want to watch:
The incidents started at 10pm in Biggleswade and the last report police had was at 2am in Dunton. Police say there may have been more incidents that have not been reported to them.
"If these steel balls can penetrate double glazing then they could kill or seriously injure a person," said Sgt Dave Needham of Biggleswade police.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 10 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
"We believe the shootings were carried out by somebody in a car because the incidents covered such a wide area.
"So far we only have reports of houses being hit but vehicles or other buildings may have been fired at and owners just don't know how the damage has happened.
"One victim was very frightened because he feared he had been targeted for some reason. But when we began to get other reports in to the police station we soon realised the shootings were being carried out by the same person driving around and firing randomly at houses."
Police are now appealing to the public to help them track down the gunman before there is a serious accident.
"We want to catch the person responsible and hopefully the public will be able to help us," added Sgt Needham.
"The person who carried out these shootings may have been a passenger in a car or been the driver.
"If anyone saw a strange vehicle in Sutton, Dunton or Biggleswade cruising around on Thursday night or the early hours of Friday morning they should contact us immediately."
Anyone with information should contact Sgt Needham on 01234 842549.