Dramatic photographs show moment lightning hits ahead of Stevenage FC match
- Credit: Archant
Striking shots taken from the stands at Stevenage’s Lamex Stadium show the moment lightning hit ahead of Friday night’s friendly against Watford.
The dramatic photographs were taken by Letchworth-based photographer and Stevenage fan Ray Cordell, who told the Comet: “To capture that shot, I took loads of pictures. It was like a pre-match firework display.
“The team’s looking good as well, so fingers crossed for a good season.”
Boro fought hard on Friday night but went down 1-0 to a strong Watford side, with former Luton forward Andre Gray slotting home a close-range winner on 88 minutes.
The weekend saw the first rain for almost two months after a sweltering heatwave that saw Britain hotter than many an exotic summer holiday destination.
You may also want to watch:
The heat is set to return by the time Dino Maamria’s men kick off the League Two campaign on Saturday against Tranmere Rovers, with highs of 29°C (85°F) predicted for Stevenage that afternoon.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn