Double celebration as Baldock business boss completes Great Wall of China marathon for Cancer Research UK, then pops question at the finish line
- Credit: Archant
A Baldock business boss ran a marathon on the Great Wall of China to raise thousands for cancer research, then proposed to his girlfriend at the finish line.
Robert Hegarty, 40, popped the question to 26-year-old Hanka Meszarosova after completing the Great Wall Marathon in 7hrs, 55mins and 29secs on Saturday – making it a double celebration.
Robert, from Letchworth, has so far raised £3,070 for Cancer Research UK with his marathon challenge in honour of his sister Rebecca and dad Martin, who died from cancer within eight months of each other four years ago.
He told the Comet: “This marathon was the hardest thing I have ever attempted. The wall was so hard that it took me nearly two hours to do three miles.
“It’s crazy – the heat was 38°C.
“Hanka was in pure shock as she didn’t have a clue I was going to propose at the end.
“My friend David Harris had come over and he filmed it – he also made sure Hanka was on the finish line.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
“When I went down on one knee she started crying, then said yes – making me the happiest man alive.”
You can still donate to Robert’s fundraising at justgiving.com/fundraising/Robert-Hegarty5.