Doncaster rule the roost at the Keepmoat as Stevenage lose third game in a row
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Stevenage began the new year as they ended the old one – with a defeat.
Just two days on from the late collapse at home to Colchester United in a 4-2 defeat on New Year’s Eve they conceded another late goal as they lost to Doncaster Rovers for the second time in five weeks.
Back on December 3 Darren Ferguson’s men won an entertaining seven-goal thriller at the Lamex as they flexed their goalscoring muscles.
But at their home ground at the Keepmoat Stadium today the hosts edged past Stevenage by just the one, a Fraser Franks own goal five minutes from time.
For Darren Sarll’s Stevenage this result sent them tumbling down to 15th in League Two just a week after they had been vying for a position in the play-off places.
But three defeats over the festive period, two of which came at home, now leave Boro eight points shy of Cambridge United in seventh.
What this shows, of course, is that things can change quickly and the season is only just past the halfway stage.
- 1 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 2 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Golfers raise £11k to help sick children and dying patients
- 10 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
But three successive reversals leave Boro moving the wrong way in the league standings ahead of the return of former boss Graham Westley to Stevenage this coming weekend.
With his Newport County side in danger of being cut adrift at the bottom of the table it promises to be a big game at the Lamex for both teams.
Doncaster Rovers: Marosi, Blair, Baudry, Butler, Mason, Rowe, Houghton, Middleton (Williams 67), Coppinger (Keegan 92), Marquis, Grant. Subs: Alcock, Wright, Beestin, Jones, May.
Stevenage: Jones, Henry, King, Frans, Ntlhe, Pett, Gorman, Tonge, Kennedy (McAnuff 73), Walker (Lee 63), Godden (Liburd 81). Subs: Day, Schumacher, Cowans, Johnson.