‘Don’t park on the clearway or you will get a £30 fine’ – Police clamp down on illegal parking on street in Stevenage Old Town
- Credit: Archant
Police are coming down hard on motorists parking illegally in a street and underpass in Stevenage’s Old Town. New signs have been placed along part of Primett road advertising its ‘clearway’ status, which means no-one can legally park along the stretch from the Esso garage, under the dual carriageway and alongside Bank House.
Police say drivers have been parking there for more than a year, causing an “obstruction or a hazard for other vehicles”.
PC Lindsey Cox said: “We have received numerous complaints about the nature of the parking on this road and despite warnings, some motorists have ignored our advice.
“The road is a ‘clearway’ which means it is illegal to stop on the main carriageway for any reason except in an emergency.
“We are now regularly monitoring the road and have been issuing about 15 tickets a week to motorists that continue to park on a clearway, which means a fine of £30. These patrols will continue so please use the road appropriately and don’t risk a fine.”
You may also want to watch:
Police notices have also been put up, warning motorists that they will be fined if they don’t pay attention to the parking restrictions.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn